- > Admissions
- > Primary to secondary transition
Primary to secondary transition
We will be delighted to welcome the Class of 2029 (current Year 6 students) and their families into our very special Dixons McMillan family. We will get to know students and their families so we discover what will help each and every student be successful during their time at Dixons McMillan.
We are a truly values driven school and we expect all our staff, students and parents to know and follow our core values.
Excellence - striving for 100% in everything we do, demonstrated through hard work, grit and determination.
Positivity - approaching each day with a can-do attitude, tackling every challenge as an opportunity and fully contributing to a joyful school culture for all.
Respect - ensuring all members of the community feel valued through treating everyone around us with kindness, fairness and honesty.
- Staff from the academy will visit each student in their current primary school to discuss with their current teachers the students successes and key next steps in order to help staff at Dixons McMillan plan out at appropriate curriculum for each child.
- Heads of department have looked at the new Key Stage 2 curriculum and put plans in place to ensure that students in current year 6 will have opportunities to cover those new aspects of the primary curriculum during year 7 at Dixons McMillan.
- English will use the new wordlists for our weekly spelling tests, give students opportunity to recite poetry and have lessons which will allow them to develop their transcriptions skills.
- We use a mastery approach to delivering our maths curriculum, and have strategies in place to ensure students are fluent in their tables (up to and including 12X12), allow students to understand the binary method as well as developing students use of roman numerals through our collective learning session.
We have a series our events to allow students and families to get to know the values of the school as well as meet key staff. We do expect 100% attendance at all the events listed below:
- Transition Evening
- Family Induction
- Transition Days
- Wednesday 6 July – Primary Transition Day
- Tuesday 30 August – First day of school
- Mrs Swain (Head of Year 7)
- Mrs Richmond (SLT Link for Year 7)
- Mr Wilson (Acting SENDCo)
- Mrs Price (Assistant Vice Principal)
- Mrs Wilby (Senior Vice Principal)