Primary to secondary transition
We will be delighted to welcome the Class of 2028 (current Year 6 students) and their families into our very special Dixons McMillan family. We will get to know students and their families so we discover what will help each and every student be successful during their time at Dixons McMillan.
We are a truly values driven school and we expect all our staff, students and parents to know and follow our core values.
Excellence - striving for 100% in everything we do, demonstrated through hard work, grit and determination.
Positivity - approaching each day with a can-do attitude, tackling every challenge as an opportunity and fully contributing to a joyful school culture for all.
Respect - ensuring all members of the community feel valued through treating everyone around us with kindness, fairness and honesty.
Mrs Sanderson, Senior Vice Principal
- Staff from the academy will visit each student in their current primary school to discuss with their current teachers the students successes and key next steps in order to help staff at Dixons McMillan plan out at appropriate curriculum for each child.
- Heads of department have looked at the new Key Stage 2 curriculum and put plans in place to ensure that students in current year 6 will have opportunities to cover those new aspects of the primary curriculum during year 7 at Dixons McMillan.
- English will use the new wordlists for our weekly spelling tests, give students opportunity to recite poetry and have lessons which will allow them to develop their transcriptions skills.
- We use a mastery approach to delivering our maths curriculum, and have strategies in place to ensure students are fluent in their tables (up to and including 12X12), allow students to understand the binary method as well as developing students use of roman numerals through our collective learning session.
We have a series our events to allow students and families to get to know the values of the school as well as meet key staff. We do expect 100% attendance at all the events listed below:
- Transition Evening
- Literacy Induction
- Inclusion Testing
- Family Induction
- Transition Days
Dixons McMillan Academy are offering a summer school during the summer holiday of 2021. Our summer school will be exclusively available to children who are currently in Year 6 and will be joining our Year 7 cohort in August 2021. The summer school will be entirely staffed by our own teaching and support staff. This will be a great opportunity for your child to build relationships with staff and other children in the Class of 2028.
Summer school will run from 9-13 August inclusive, and will be from 9:00am-3:00pm each day. Places will be allocated on a first come, first serve basis, and all children must attend for all five days of the summer school – we will be only offering full-time provision. If you would like your child to attend summer school, please can you complete the questionnaire below to confirm your interest in a place or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wednesday 7 July – Primary Transition Day
- Wednesday 7 July – Family Induction Evening
- Tuesday 31 August – First day of school
- Summer School (optional - see info above)
- Mrs Senior: Principal
- Mrs Sanderson: Senior Vice Principal (Leadership)
- Mrs Jordon: Head of Class of 2028
- Mrs Aziz: SLT link for Year 7
- Mrs Ali: Head of Mountain Support (SENDCo)